Sunday, November 27, 2011

the Early Lehigh Valley Seen

We were not alone,There were a few other bands  in the Valley.The first Bands were The Midnighters ,The Tran sonics/trendsetters,The Clap,The Liars.These were the only punk bands that I knew of at the birth of the lehigh valley seen.The Midnighters  lead singer and guitarist Johnny was a cool guy. I met him through his girl friend who was a substitute teacher at Catty High school.He would pick her up after school some times  and she introduced us to him.We were Just starting at the time and didn't have our first show yet.He was such an inspiration he had a bizarre personality sick in a way.He would tell us of shows he would go to in New York at CBGB's and Maxy's Kansas City.He told us of bands he would see like Iggy pop, Sid Viscous,Dead Boys,Johnny Thunders,The Heart Breakers and many others.The stories he would tell us made me want to play in a punk band all the more.The Midnighters were like a blend between the heart breakers and the Ramones a 70's power pop sound like a lot of punk bands of the time.The Clap was fortunate to open up a few shows with the Midnighters  Before they split in 1980 due to musical differences . The Last I heard of Johnny he was a minister in El Paso Texas.as for the rest of the band they faded into the cracks of the lehigh valley past.
     The Tran sonics were fronted by Ronnie Rock who's ego could fill a room and the Prince of punk the late(Steve Lanzillo) Step Pillage.There time on the seen was short lived and they only did a few shows at the 4th st. saloon in Bethlehem Pa. They were punk as punk could be. Step played a bass with 3 strings and a rubber band he had a British flag suit coat with a lot of badges and safety pins on it.Ronnie had slicked back hair and a 50's leather look.I don't Remember the drummer.The one show I saw and I think was the last show was so funny.,every one had a squirt gun and was shooting at the band Ronnie was getting pissed.Then Ed Mottley Filled a gun with dish soap and things got worse step was so wet and suds were all over him,so was Ronnie, he went to the mic and was bitching at everyone and a blue electric current shot across to his mouth and shocked him for about 5 seconds.Then some one took a wiped cream pie and smashed it in step's face and he lost it, he was jumping and thrashing around in the crowd wiped cream flying everywhere.That was punk as shit I couldn't top that act,but that was it for the trans sonics Later Ronnie took a more pop approach with the Trendsetters who released an EP We Are Young. Step Passed away of causes unknown 2008/09 ?Ronnie Lives in Virginia Beach,He opened with a solo act for the Clap on tour one time at a bar called the corner bar. I played a few songs with him it was very cool .He even put us up for the night.I would love to see a trendsetters and Clap reunion one day !!!











    the Liars our long time foes .It started when Chip Schlegel Wanted to Join our band. We Didn't want him in the band, he didn't play good and didn't learn the songs fast enough.So He and a few others Formed The Liars Chip on Guitars,Bob Almazan on bass ,Steve Lapsansky on Drums and Todd Hartranft Vocals.They had a set together of songs but never had there shit together.They always wanted us to let them open for us,because we always would get Gigs at clubs and halls,we were in demand I guess you could say.We played all the Clubs in the area and got paid our contract amount too.They even threatened us and said they would kick our asses or disrupt our shows. It never happened anyway.One time we booked a show the Liars and The Clap at a house Party,things started off alright we were volleying sets back and forth I don't know if the liars got to fucked up or what but chip smashed his guitar and Todd the singer punctured every one of the drum heads on the drum set !! Some people said that people were booing them I don't know I was with this girl trying to get in her pants, which  I did.Any way that was usually the case with a liars show they were always a loose cannon and a rival of sorts mostly just a pain in the ass.(slap the Clap were the liars) was there chant.some times you will here it at my other bands shows (Nostalgia Crisis)the slam hounds and Dox like to needle me with it But I don't care,I have more important things to worry about than dribble from no ones.I have always worked hard for The Clap and wanted to make something of myself,I think I've done a lot for the local punk seen to be proud .

1 comment:

  1. Oh shit Johnny. Loving this blog and the old stories. Catty was the best place to grow up punk, and thats what we did. We were all so young and... crazy. I was more in the Liars camp and I was responsible for starting the " Slap the Clap' thing. Sorry dude, it was just a drunken thing that popped out. The Clap was praticing at a house up in Catty Gardens (Kelly Beshens maybe.)All us Liar people were drunk and decided to check out how you guys practiced and we kind of just barged in. You were cool with us till our typical drunken punk ways started to disrupt shit. You herded us out tactfully and that was when I started the chant. Alot of the tension between the bands was because you guys were better and got gigs and The Liars were like a bomb with a lit fuse. Liars were pretty good and had some really fun songs (I like chicks, One way streeet, etc.) but there was hardley a show that didn't end with fights or arguements or puking or police. It was all fun and I feel lucky to have been from Catty and grow up with the Clap and Liars and Trendsetters. (Ronnie Rock was a dickhead back then.) I have only respect for you Johnny and what you did for the Valley music scene. You are truely the 'Grandad of Lehigh Valley Punk" See you at the Arch, I love to see Crisis play. Pete.

    ReplyDelete